Saturday, October 07, 2006

For my Buddy Scott K.

DEATH BY LOVECRAFT


I was told his housekeeper found him sitting upright in his favorite chair, the expression on his face frozen in a state of obvious abject transfiguring fear, his fist clutched around an amulet made from some unknown black highly polished red stained mineral matter. The coroner listed the cause of death as shock derived from electrical discharge. I being a student of the occult and esoteric was the only one who accepted the truth for what it was. Next to him on the side table nervously scrawled with a finger in his spilled wine was a single word: Nyarlathotep.

this is a post in response to Matt Dinniman's Flash Fiction contest:

http://shiveredsky.blogspot.com/2006/10/1st-annual-flash-fiction-contest-prizes.html

enjoy

Later...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I like your entry, it reminds me of Clark Ashton Smith's stuff.

If you want to look at my entry it's at http://smgswritingbonanzaofdoom.blogspot.com/

Arioch1066 said...

Thanks I'll take that as a compliment. Clark Ashton Smith was a devotee of H.P. Lovecraft who happens to be one of my favorite writers...being the Samhain season i figured the contest called for an homage of my own

Kate Thornton said...

Wonderful - always love a Lovecraftian homage!

Dayngr said...

That was great. Plus you made me look up Nyarlathotep so I learned something new.

SMG said...

Samhain: I recently saw Halloween III, scared the beejeezus out of me when I was little but I couldn't remember what movie the magic masks and creepy television commercial were from.
The genius behind the horror was an occultist and the movie was written by the guy who wrote the Quartermass Experiment.

emeraldcite said...

Good work! Some vivid description.