Thursday, November 02, 2006

What is it?


What is love? The dictionary defines it thus….
Main Entry: 1love Pronunciation: 'l&vFunction: nounEtymology: Middle English, from Old English lufu; akin to Old High German luba love, Old English lEof dear, Latin lubEre, libEre to please1 a (1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties (2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests b : an assurance of love 2 : warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion 3 a : the object of attachment, devotion, or admiration b (1) : a beloved person : DARLING -- often used as a term of endearment 4 a : unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another:
To some people it is a four-letter word; to others it means many other things. I am sure if you asked 100 people what love was, you would get 100 different answers. Poets have filled volumes on the subject, the Greeting card companies make millions a year off the very idea, movies are made everyday on the subject, TV shows as well, and so what exactly is love?
I tell my wife I love her every day. But I sometimes wonder if she hears me…Now don’t misunderstand me I know she hears me as she usually responds in kind, however what I mean is I often wonder if she understands what I mean. The above definitions apply across the board. Nevertheless, there is more. When I say I love her I mean I love the way she stands with one of her feet turned in like a little girl when she stands in front of the mirror to put on her make-up. I love her crooked smile, I love the way she looks at me sometimes as if I am the most amazing thing since sliced bread. I love the way her hair curls up and looks like she just went for a ride in a convertible, even when she tries to straighten it. I love the fact that she often eats peanut butter straight out of the jar with a spoon. I love the fact that she can get so lost in a book that she actually forgets what is going on around her. But it also means I love what most people would see as negative things like the fact that she can’t seem to sleep without the TV on (which incidentally drives me nuts), or the fact that you really don’t want to get in her way until she has had a cup of cappuccino, or the fact that she sometimes thinks she is fat an unattractive (I think all women do this). But it also means that I absolutely hate it when I have to spend time away from her, I hurt when she hurts, and for the first time in my life I more often than not put her needs or wants or desires ahead of mine. But it also means that I would die for her…yes you read that correctly I said die! If my life would save hers, I would gladly step up and make the swap without any hesitation. I tell her all the time in those moments that she seems to doubt my feelings towards her if she only knew or if we could trade places for a minute she would know. I often look at her while she sleeps, and wonder what in the hell she sees in me, as I know she could do better, and I know she deserves better….and its in those moments that I realize she chose me and I know she loves me as well. So honey in case I don’t tell you enough or mange to tell you the way you need to hear it…I love you

Later….

No comments: